Quotes – China Mieville
- Dismissing fantasy writing because some of it is bad is exactly like saying I’m not reading Jane Eyre because it is a romance and I know romance is crap.
- Some of the best literature of the last hundred years has come out of the genre tradition and of course the best of it challenges expectations, just as the best of literary fiction challenges those expectations.
- I remember vividly what it’s like to read as a 10-year-old that passionate inhabiting of a book.
- Every book I write, the first thing I have to do is get into the voice, and the voice varies from book to book – that’s part of what’s interesting to me.
- I think the role of science fiction is not at all to prophesy. I think it is to tell interesting, vivid, strange stories that at their best are dreamlike intense versions and visions of today.
- Loads of children read books about dinosaurs, underwater monsters, dragons, witches, aliens, and robots. Essentially, the people who read SF, fantasy and horror haven’t grown out of enjoying the strange and weird.
- My parents went through the dictionary looking for a beautiful name, nearly called me Banyan, flicked on a few pages and came to China, which is cockney rhyming slang for mate.
Miéville is an English fantasy fiction author, comic writer and academic. He describes his writing as ‘weird fiction’.
Get a box of books chosen just for you each month